Having trouble setting up death counter

Okay, I have looked over numerous forum questions on this same thing and I still can’t seem to figure this out. I’m not very tech savy, so I really need this broken down by what I specifically put in each box when making a custom command.

What I want to do is make a death counter, so that every time I die in a game, a simple command will count it up by one. I want a command, where viewers can simply look to see how many deaths I have so far. I want a command that allows me and moderators to simply add a death every time I die. Finally, I want a command that will reset those deaths when I move to a new game.

I have experimented with a number of different command combinations, following advice on this forum and I have not been able to figure it out. Here what I have tried and how it shows up in the chat.

!deaths
Command box: !death
Message box: Professor Webneck has failed his test 0 times.

!deathadd
Command box: !deathadd
Message box: -a=!commands -ul=mod edit !deaths $(channel) has failed his test $(count) times.

Here are the results:
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 3.25.55 PM

What am I doing wrong? Again, when answering, can you please tell me what I have to put in each exact box when making a custom command on its own line and only what is supposed to go into that box.

Hey @professorwebneck!

You were close to getting it right. I understand you add the commands from the dashboard.

The -ul=, -a=, and -cd= parameters are to be used only if you add the commands from the chat, if you use the dashboard to add new commands you have to fill the boxes corresponding to each parameters:

Then !commands add, !commands delete, and !commands edit can respectively be shortened to !addcom, !delcom, and !editcom.

So for your commands this is how to fill each fields:
!deaths:
Command: !deaths

!deathadd:
Command: !deathadd
Message: !deaths $(twitch $(channel) "Professor Webneck has failed his test at {{game}} $(count) times.")
Userlevel: Moderator
Alias: !editcom

!deathreset
Command: !deathreset
Userlevel: Moderator
Alias: !editcom

Now, if you wanted to add each commands from the chat, here is what to type:

!addcom !deaths Professor Webneck has failed his test 0 times.
!addcom !deathadd -ul=mod -a=!editcom !deaths $(twitch $(channel) "Professor Webneck has failed his test at {{game}} $(count) times.")
!addcom !deathreset -ul=mod -a=!editcom !deathadd \-c=0
1 Like

Thank you so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it. That has solved the problem, but not exactly, as I would like.

So, when I enter !deathadd through my chat I get this: @professorwebneck -> The command “!deaths” has been edited successfully.

I would just like it to provide the new count within the message Professor Webneck has failed his test on (game) X times.

Is there was a way to do that without having to then type in the !deaths command to find the new total or no? Thank you so much for the help.

Sadly there isn’t, I too wanted to have that kind of thing, but you’d need to call !deaths as an alias, and since !editcom already is one, this isn’t possible: a command can only have one alias, and an alias command can’t have an alias, in order to prevent loops.

Thanks for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.