SR Search Feature Is Useless

I have no idea what you guys were thinking, but this Song Request Search feature is useless. It only takes the top result of the search term, which is almost never the correct one without being overly explicit. More often than not you won’t even get a song and you can’t rely on all song uploaders to tag their videos as ‘Music’ so limiting it to that isn’t a solution. It’s basically impossible to request the specific song you want without going to the video and copying the title and at that point you may as well just copy the URL or video ID. You have 3 different names for the same process. Good job.

Seriously, what was wrong with the old !songs list play? It worked. Almost all the time. Because it used a limited list of only things you actually wanted instead of all of Youtube. And the ability for it to play a random song from that list of songs they like was invaluable to all my viewers and others’ viewers as well.

Keep the silly search feature if you want, but bring back the old one. You have the users’ lists. I’m not seeing the reason for the resistance unless the api/database requests were just too much to handle. In which case, say that instead of pretending that the search feature is a reasonable replacement.

I have no idea what you guys were thinking, but this Song Request Search feature is useless. It only takes the top result of the search term, which is almost never the correct one without being overly explicit. More often than not you won’t even get a song and you can’t rely on all song uploaders to tag their videos as ‘Music’ so limiting it to that isn’t a solution.

For the majority of songs being searched, the new system works far better than the old. Searches rank by popularity and similarity of the search text you enter. From extensive testing, there’s generally no issues matching the video you intended unless you’re attempting to request non-music or unpopular videos. Broadcasters can also elect to swap the search system to SoundCloud or Spotify, which might produce even better search results.

It’s basically impossible to request the specific song you want without going to the video and copying the title and at that point you may as well just copy the URL or video ID. You have 3 different names for the same process. Good job.

We try to make it as easy to request as possible, including allowing users to enter the URL or video ID. I’m sorry if you feel that’s not user-friendly.

And the ability for it to play a random song from that list of songs they like was invaluable to all my viewers and others’ viewers as well.

If your goal is to only let people search your playlist for songs, you can enable that in the settings already. Just enable “Limit to Playlist” in the settings.

Seriously, what was wrong with the old !songs list play? It worked. Almost all the time. Because it used a limited list of only things you actually wanted instead of all of Youtube. … Keep the silly search feature if you want, but bring back the old one. You have the users’ lists. I’m not seeing the reason for the resistance unless the api/database requests were just too much to handle. In which case, say that instead of pretending that the search feature is a reasonable replacement.

We curb our product to the majority, which for some people might not seem ideal for them. Most of the feedback we were getting about song requests was the ability to search by name. According to analytics, very few people used the user songs feature in comparison to the number of people requesting songs. Because of that, we made the decision to cut it from the product. It’s not to say it won’t return, but for now there’s not enough users wanting it to justify the time spent bringing it back.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.