HOW TO GET A NEW TOKEN

Hello, I hope you are very well, the question is clear, how can I get a new token for nightbot? I have a project and I need it, but I don’t know how to get it out. I don’t know much about computers, but it controls the functions of “skip music, move music to the first place and prevent someone from skipping music”, it is a dynamic with channel points. I would really appreciate if someone could help me get it.

Hey @dataip!

Over the last week I’ve tried to understand what you were referring to a couple of times, and I’m still unsure I get it.

The only interpretation I have is that you want a new token from an application:

Hope that helps, if not, try to describe your issue better.

hello emily thank you very much for answering, I put that number and the bot I have doesn’t work for me. Could it be hosted elsewhere? (using client id and client secret)

I still don’t understand what you’re trying to do, such tokens are to be used with the API.
If you’re just trying to set up Nightbot and use it, you don’t need to go through all that, just click on Join Channel from the dashboard.

ok let me put you in context, a person helped me in a project with programming, it’s an internet file that I open as a browser in my obs, but when I open it with notepad I can see all the lines that he created to program that bot. Inside those lines is "nighbottoken: “…etc”. One of the many objectives that the bot has is to read the chat and notice when a viewer claims for channel points “skip” a button that I created on twitch so that the song request skips the current song. Right now I have not been able to communicate with the creator of the project again and I am desperate. Since that functionality is not available. Hope someone can help me. by the way, the token I’m looking for is a little shorter, it has 40 characters

Thank you again for you time

I have no idea which token you need then, only the developer knows, and from what you’re saying, it baffles me how they didn’t even write comments/a short documentation to help.
Why don’t you try with the tokens regardless of their length?

You’d have lost way less time if you had given the full explanation at first, instead we had to have this back and forth over many days, which surely didn’t help with your desperation.

I’d be happy to try, but I have no idea how to do it. I don’t know much about programming, just the basics.

Create an app, copy the client secret, and replace the string that comes after nightbottoken in your code with it, if that doesn’t work try the client ID.
I can’t help further on code I don’t see, haven’t written, and that has no documentation.

I contacted the person who created it in the first instance and he gave me a private access to create a nightbot token. Thank you very much for your effort. by the way, basically it is an authentication with a program called postman and things like that. I would love to be able to give more details, but as I explained at the beginning they are very difficult for me to understand. Thank you so much!

This is the response from the technician in charge: I have a custom bot on my twitch channel, which was connected to the nightbot api. The problem was the way I had to obtain the token using client and secret. I managed to fix the problem by following the official documentation of the nightbot api.

1 Like

Ahh, I see, that makes more sense now, I forgot the length of the token obtained by the cURL command, and I also assumed the person who wrote the code for you would have had automatized that part, hence why I didn’t think of it; note that you’ll have to update the token every 30 days, otherwise the app will break, if you do it a bit before the end date you can use the refresh token to get the new token, otherwise you’ll need to make a fresh request.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.