Export/backup function can't handle umlauts

Hey there,

in case you entered keywords that should highlighted in chat containing umlauts or other special characters, then backup/export your BTTV settings, the umlauts and special characters are saved as “�”.

In my case I want to highlight the German word “fußball” (football). The exported json (.backup) file has the value “fu�ball”. This is the case with German umlauts like ä, ü, ö as well.

Hey @Savory_Savory!

There’s already an opened issue on the repository, so it should be fixed at some point, but we’ll greatly appreciate if you can add more details.

2 Likes

It seem thing with nickname case. I try to open my backupfile by notepad. It show some error code like “bttv_nicknames”:{“imapt”:“I-a-8H”,“maris”:"!2#4*",“teanskylighs”: I-a5",“cool_s”:“A!eL”}. How to convert them to the German word?

You can’t really convert it back, but you should be able to edit it and save the file properly. I think the issue is due to the encoding settings used whilst saving, not sure if it’s using UTF-8, but I reckon that’d be the best one, and the fact that it converts characters that are outside the US keyboard makes me think it’s probably using ANSI.

2 Likes

This is fixed in version 7.3.6. Indeed, the saved file’s encoding is incorrect. If you resave it with utf-8 encoding it will work properly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.