Custom commands erased from our channel

Hi,

I do realize that this has been asked and mentoined by quite a lot of other users, but I am still opening this topic to raise awareness towards this issue. We have a discord channel where ±250 users use several of Nightbot its’ custom commands every day. Out of the blue (I did not receive any notification or email to remind me this was going to happen) all our custom commands and settings got wiped.

As mentoined in other topics I have reached out to the dev team by email, but I haven’t received any response. I know and understand that this bot is build and maintained by volunteers, but I don’t think that performing such an action is received with a lot of happiness by your own community.

I hope that by opening this topic I am able to gather some attention by the owners responsible for the action performed. I would like to ask why you did this without sending any notification or reminder and how to restore it to the old situation?

Hey @fishingchipsnl!

Sorry you’ve been impacted, but as you might have read here, commands on Discord isn’t a supported use case.

I suggested to reach out to get your commands’ code back so you can move to another bot, but I didn’t know if anyone would receive a positive response; it felt important to me to suggest a possible solution though, but I don’t like giving more work to the dev.

Allow me to remind you that you agreed to Nightbot’s Terms of Service, here are relevant parts to your issue that might help answer your question:

Please read these Terms of Service carefully before accessing or using our website. By accessing or using any part of the site, you agree to be bound by these Terms of Service.

Nightbot.tv is a service that allows users to utilize a chat moderator robot in their Twitch (http://www.twitch.tv) chat rooms.

We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue the Service (or any part or content thereof) without notice at any time.

We shall not be liable to you or to any third-party for any modification, price change, suspension, or discontinuance of the Service.

Hi Emily,

Of course this is mentoined in the ToS. I do think that a tool that is clearly used a lot in Discord, should not suddenly be excluded from any reasoning just because it’s not in its’ ToS. Hence it would be much appreciated by a lot of users to at least have some sort of fallback instead of no communication.

The bot may be used in a lot of Discord servers for commands, but that’s not what the bot is built for, it isn’t advertised as a Discord bot, using the bot in such way is technically a misuse of it; even if it supports using the stream commands on Discord, this should be viewed as an extra; it isn’t made to be exclusively or primarily used on Discord.

The ToS you agreed to say the complete opposite: service can stop at any time without any warning; I understand your frustration, I too would be mad if all my work was deleted without warning, but unfortunately you don’t have the ToS on your side to complain.

It should be pointed out that:
• Nightbot commands still work on Discord, but they’re still a complement to the use of the bot on a streaming platform.
• people who got their commands wrongly removed — meaning they were using the bot within the ToS: as a bot on a streaming platform; and they wrongly got flagged as inactive because they didn’t do “recent” modifications in their commands — got their commands back.
• Nightbot is a free bot, it costs money to run the servers to store and execute the commands, pruning inactive accounts or accounts that operate the bot outside of the ToS is a reasonable way to cut down the cost of operation.
• there’s a way to backup your commands, you could have put that in place.
• there are much better bots built for Discord.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.