Whispers commands

Does someone know how to make a custom command that whispers to the user that activated it?

Hey @LilRuffus!

Nightbot doesn’t have the ability to whisper chatters for security reasons: people could run scams and make their messages look legit if they come from Nightbot, as many trust the bot.

i am very confused on this… how can getting a private response to a command u, yourself, typed be any kind of scam?.. if there were a way to make it dm somebody else i could see an issue… but like, for a use case example, (being that there r bots that do this, i’ve set such commands up) a streamer i mod for has secret “passwords” that r actually commands that give certain roles in discord, so we don’t want the “passwords” out in open chat, we want it to only dm users that r subbed (also when the “passwords” r typed the bot that it triggers to give the role also automatically deletes the “password”)

another use case, we setup multiple bots with the same command trigger, one bot that dm’s sends only mods a dm with instructions on how to use a system of commands that all work together, while another bot gives some other info for everybody in the chat

There are channels that run scam, they already use Nightbot to legitimize the links sent to chat, so whispers would only make things worse.

To understand the power of Nightbot’s notoriety you just have to look at the amount of people who join the Discord server asking for their giveaway price, or asking why Nightbot banned them, or how to join a specific game, etc. people trust Nightbot very much, often confusing it with the streamer, some even think it’s run by Twitch, they receive a lot of support requests for Nightbot, and we receive a lot of support requests that should be sent to Twitch instead.

Anything Nightbot sends to chat is viewed as trustworthy because of all this, of course most people use the bot properly, but there are bad actors, and the ability of sending a private message would only make things worse because it’d be viewed as personal and/or secure.

And some of the bots that allow whispers (I won’t say “all” because I don’t know if that’s the case) also allow to send the whisper to anyone, not just the command’s user. But, most of the time, those bots also have less recognition, or they require to use a personal Twitch account, reducing the trustworthiness of what they send.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: i can’t even fathom the level of stupidity that would require… :grimacing: the only understandable way that could happen is if they’re extremely new to twitch and/or they’ve only ever seen one channel… the simple fact that the bots’ responses differ from stream to stream tells u it’s created by the streamer (or the mods, but that’s not immediately recognizable)… :upside_down_face:

I see you still have hope about people on the internet, haha, I hope you can remain that way; I personally saw so many stupid people that I lost faith (and patience).

1 Like

The thing I was going for was a custom command for people to join our community discord, but the thing is, it’s going to be a members only feature to be able to join the discord, is there any way to do this with nightbot?

I don’t see a way to do it with Nightbot, however, you can use the Discord’s Twitch integration, and then only make the Discord channels visible by the subscriber role it’ll create. There also is a Discord’s YouTube integration; I’m getting confused about which platform you stream on given whispers are on Twitch and YouTube doesn’t have a direct message system, and members is a YouTube word that equates to Twitch’s subscribers.

I’m on youtube and could you explain a little bit more how to do it, I didn’t quite get what you said about the discord integrations and roles and so

Then I don’t understand how you expected to whisper a link to viewers on YouTube, that website has removed their private chat system for years, anyway…

Go through the steps in the Discord’s YouTube integration guide, it’ll create linked role(s), look for the one that’s called YouTube Member and enable its View Channels permission, then go to your @everyone role and disable that same permission. If you need further help read through Discord’s guides, we’re not here to teach you how to use their platform.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.