Various easy commands for nightbot noob

I am totally new to nightbot. I’m trying to make my stream approachable and fun. I saw the variables wiki but it isn’t simple enough. What does the $(query) do? And I tried to set up my steam and it says no match… blahhhhh so confusing.

Variables are for users who have at least a basic background in programming. If you aren’t sure what variables are or how they work, that’s not exactly something we can teach, unfortunately.

I don’t have any programming experience… What is it that the $(query) does? i’m just curious. I was able to use some of the wiki info, but yeah i’m not totally trying to learn programming haha. Thank you for replying!

The basic use of the $(query) - The entire string of arguments supplied to the command or anything after the command it’s self. A simple command like:

!addcom !say $(query)

When you do:

!say Hello World!

Nightbot will use arguments(anything after the command) as the query. You will get in return:

Nightbot: Hello World!

Query is useful for if you don’t want a set command but you need a dynamic amount of arguments. A great example is a !weather command.

Night: !addcom !weather $(weather $(query))
Night: !weather New York
Nightbot: Weather for Albany, NY: Conditions are Overcast with a temperature of 49 F (9 C). The wind is blowing From the South at 6 MPH and the current humidity is 66%.

All of these and more can be found on the wiki page. Look at the examples for they are pretty useful for beginners. Nightbot Wiki Page

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.