Timer Logic

Asked Aug 20, 2026·5 replies·Last activity 10 days ago·Open in Discord ↗
This discussion is live on Discord
Replies posted there show up here automatically.

Sorry, Discord had hidden this forum and I didn't realize, so I had put this in <#229484035745906691>. Any references to "today" would mean 2026-08-17.

I suspect there is something wrong with timer logic in nightbot, but I'm not sure what. I can only describe the symptoms. My account name is "tehgoocherer" on Twitch. I previously had 5 timers with fairly large intervals which I have now disabled. They would constantly trigger in groups and more often than they should based on the interval - even taking into consideration chat lines. I even went so far as to assign them intervals using only prime numbers so that they didn't group up, and they still did all the time. For example I have a timer called "Follow Reminder" that I have set interval to 53 minutes and 2 lines, however I have seen it trigger within 10 minutes of the previous triggering. Chat was not even slow, there were multiple messages for the whole period. Today (2026-08-17) it triggered at 10:53 AM UTC-7 and then triggered again at 11:01 AM UTC-7. All the other timers also grouped up shortly before the second follow reminder timer invocation. I've since disabled all of them but one. Please let me know if you need any further information to investigate this.

tl;dr triggers are firing much more often than they should be and they also tend to group up and "spam" the chat even if I set the intervals to prime numbers to prevent this.

5 replies

timers interally run like cron jobs would.

for example, if you configure every 5 minutes it runs at :00, :05, :10, :15 and so on. as an additional example, if you configure every 15 minutes it runs at :00, :15, :30 and so on.

in addition, if you configure a line count minimum then your chat must have had at least that many messages sent in the 5 minutes prior to the timer execution.

for example, if you configure 5 lines, 5 minutes then at :00 you would need at least 5 messages sent in chat since :55. as an additional example, if you configure 5 lines, 15 minutes then at :15 you would need at least 5 messages sent in chat since :10.

I have exactly the same problem as tehgooch for a long time.

Timers are not working properly creating chaos in chat. Interval can be 54 min for specific timer but then appearing twice in 6 min (I just checked my last VOD).

So the answer above is wrong.

no, the answer isn’t wrong. you are wrong

you said :54, so you’d see the timer at the start of the hour and at 54 minutes past the hour

Ok, Im wrong here
But that's so not intuitive for me..

Why we cant have intervals more than 60 min? And why they working within 1 hour?
What if I don't want them to spam that often? How I can do so?
And how you prevent all of your 5-6 timers spam together at the start of each hour (seems they working this way) - that is really annoy viewers

image.png

Have something to add? Join the thread on Discord.

Reply on Discord