NightDev Community Forums

[Suggestion] Add a random user variable

Hey there!

Do you think you could add a $(randomuser) variable?
It seems to me that the !winner command could easily be slightly modified to add this variable.

Questions you may ask for which I already have an answer for:
• Why would we need such variable if we can already use an API that pull the users list from the chat to then pick a name randomly?
→ The issue with the current method is that is calls out lurkers since it’s not based on the users activity, and it’s not really desired.
• Why would we need such variable if !winner already exists?
→ This would be used to add a different text around the random user, since we don’t necessarily always need a random user as a winner.

So, what do you think about this idea?

1 Like

Hahaha, after I’ve been told that to have such thing I’d have to create a new bot, I’ve been looking for a way to use the !winner command to extract the random username and use it somewhere else.

I totally agree with your points, in the chats I mod for we feel terrible for calling out lurkers, and most of the time they’ll ignore it, so we lose in interaction.

Plus, a lot of other bots already have a similar variable, so Nightbot is behind on that one. I’d definitely see an use in this!

Right now we’re using a combination of Nightbot and Streamlabs Chatbot to achieve the same result, and it’s nasty. Trying to have a personalized command with a randomly picked user and an eval is not the cleanest.

Only thing I’d add is that !winner randomly picks someone who spoke in the last 10min, I think that 15min would be better, but maybe that’s just me. :woman_shrugging:

Sorry for the delay in response.

I do think this is an interesting idea, but I don’t know of when we can get around to it. I’ve added it to an internal list of feature ideas.

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.