[Suggestion] Add a random user variable

Hey there!

Do you think you could add a $(randomuser) variable?
It seems to me that the !winner command could easily be slightly modified to add this variable.

Questions you may ask for which I already have an answer for:
• Why would we need such variable if we can already use an API that pull the users list from the chat to then pick a name randomly?
→ The issue with the current method is that is calls out lurkers since it’s not based on the users activity, and it’s not really desired.
• Why would we need such variable if !winner already exists?
→ This would be used to add a different text around the random user, since we don’t necessarily always need a random user as a winner.

So, what do you think about this idea?

2 Likes

Hahaha, after I’ve been told that to have such thing I’d have to create a new bot, I’ve been looking for a way to use the !winner command to extract the random username and use it somewhere else.

I totally agree with your points, in the chats I mod for we feel terrible for calling out lurkers, and most of the time they’ll ignore it, so we lose in interaction.

Plus, a lot of other bots already have a similar variable, so Nightbot is behind on that one. I’d definitely see an use in this!

Right now we’re using a combination of Nightbot and Streamlabs Chatbot to achieve the same result, and it’s nasty. Trying to have a personalized command with a randomly picked user and an eval is not the cleanest.

Only thing I’d add is that !winner randomly picks someone who spoke in the last 10min, I think that 15min would be better, but maybe that’s just me. :woman_shrugging:

Sorry for the delay in response.

I do think this is an interesting idea, but I don’t know of when we can get around to it. I’ve added it to an internal list of feature ideas.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.