Nightbot Timers Not Working in New Version

Hi, We’ve (Channel twitch.tv/Orb) been having an issue with Nightbot where the timed messages would all appear at once! They are all set individual times, but the chat lines are the same.

However sometimes it’s all of them, other times it’s one or two. For example:

https://gyazo.com/e983a6c4ee7ee172753d03c3f76f8745

We’d appreciate all the help :smiley: <3

Edit:

Some more screenshots;

https://gyazo.com/0612f2881af3191fe5e9e4685b668c74

https://gyazo.com/0e9d1c61d7b8d2af61aa63ac979799e2

Edit 2:

Another screenshot:
https://gyazo.com/bb1ce290e39cca715afe63bb0c162cc9

1 Like

Thanks for the screenshots. I added logging yesterday and will take a closer look at the logs compared with your screenshots later this evening to see if I can locate the problem.

Edit: was not able to get to this tonight, but will check it out tomorrow

2 Likes

Hey there!

Just keeping the thread updated. I have had 2 streams so far since we last spoke, each stream lasting give or take 3 hours, and both times no timers popped up at any point. Commands are still working perfectly, but timers are just non-existent. I have included a screen shot of my timer set-up below, so you can see that I have 3 enabled, each with completely different line counts and interval settings.

Maybe there is something I am missing and the screen shot can show you, but I am definitely stumped. Anyone else still having this issue?

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Your line limits are sort of high. Lines counts are evaluated on a per-5-minute basis. You may want to try reducing the line requirement.

based on my stream this past Sunday, everything seems to be fine so far. I have a much longer stream tonight and I’ll update on if how things go with the timers. Thanks for being so awesome and on top of these things Night.

So “downtocarry” and “g2a” stack because you have one set to 10 minutes and the other 20 minutes… Timers execute by specific time per hour, not arbitrary times, so 10+10 = 20, at :20 and :40 they should both post simultaneously.

As for the large block of 5 being posted. That’s because the hour started and all timers are every X-minutes, starting from :00.

With that, it appears the system is functioning normally, although not optimally. Since we obviously don’t want timers to stack up, I’ve changed timers which seem to stack to delay each timer that stacks an extra minute such that they never stack up.

Awesome thank you! :smiley:

so since I last updated I had 2 streams on Wednesday and Thursday, both nights I had more than 600 lines of chat but only saw one of my timers post. so no longer do the timers spam but now I’m not seeing them post to chat at all or no longer after the first time. Wednesday was 8 hours long and Thursday was 4 hours long, Timers were definitely enabled at the time. I can adjust my timer lines and times if need be for testing purposes later tonight.

You may want to adjust your line requirement. Keep in mind that the amount of lines is measured in a 5 minute interval.

Has this been fully resolved? I updated to the Beta on the 10th and I’ve had my commercials set at 30 min and 25 lines of chat since then and I’ve only had one commercial break that was manually started by me.

My chat does not move overly fast, but Just took a random 4 minute segment of my chat from this afternoon and I had 69 chat lines, only from 5:56:01 pm est to 5:59:59, so not even 5 minutes.

I just went in and changed the break to 15 lines of code to see if tonight when I stream it runs a break.

Edited in my break stats http://imgur.com/K9Bptfv

@morsrageng At the moment the Nightbot does not support running commercials. Check out my reply to this other thread: Implement commercial feature in the Nightbot beta

Appreciate the quick response, and thanks for all your hard work.

Modding a channel, and am basically the only one who configures Nightbot.

Haven’t been able to work timer’s properly since this ticket opened. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

New timer set as every 5 min after 2 lines works, but anything past 15 min never goes off.
Furthermore, the timer set for 15 min goes off around 11 min. There is no consistency even when timers are “working”.

So I eventually got my timers to work, but I definitely do not understand HOW they work. I think it is just going to take constant fiddling to see what numbers work best for my stream. The timers definitely respond better to lower numbers. Here is a screen shot of what they look like now.

It’s funny though because I have my FOLLOW timer set to every 5 lines, but it definitely does not go off that frequently. So right now it looks like you have to put the numbers WAY lower than what you technically wish they were at, and then it end up being closer to your desired timing.

Nightbot will not use timers even when i set him to use one after 2 lines per 5 mins.
I’ve tried numerous times to get it to work, but he simply will not say anything, unless i use a manual command.

Timers do not execute based on lines, they execute based on time.

If you have a timer set to 15 minutes, 5 lines, then at :00, :15, :30, :45 Nightbot tries to run your timer and checks the line requirement before executing the timer. If your channel hasn’t reached the line requirement it doesn’t run.

The line requirement is measured in 5 minute intervals. If you typed 5 lines at :04, and waited 10 minutes for the timer to execute to test it out, it won’t work.

1 Like

So with keeping what you said at the end in mind, it’s better for us to set our timers at “2 Lines” and however long we want them to repeat, that way we have a more consistent timer.

Edit: My interpretation of what you stated is: Nightbot will check the number of lines checked 5 minutes before the timer is supposed to go off (Assuming timer is on an even 5), if no lines are typed within those 5 minutes, then no timer will go off. Thus ignoring any previous lines posted before the 5 minutes.

This to me is fundamentally flawed, it should be checking based on how many lines were said from last Nightbot posted.

Another question.
If we have it set to 15 minutes, but start the stream at 10:20, does that mean it goes off at 10:35 / 10:50 / 11:05 ect… or still on every 15 of the hour (10:15 / :30 / :45 )

This to me is fundamentally flawed, it should be checking based on how many lines were said from last Nightbot posted.

Timers are no longer stored and executed in memory for scalability reasons, sorry. It’s not possible to offer line counts per command, nor does it really make sense in practice. The point of a line requirement is to only send timed messages when the chat is active. The level of activity required is up to the broadcaster. If you’re having trouble getting timers to work, then unfortunately Nightbot is doing its job to prevent itself from spamming an idle chat.

If we have it set to 15 minutes, but start the stream at 10:20, does that mean it goes off at 10:35 / 10:50 / 11:05 ect… or still on every 15 of the hour (10:15 / :30 / :45 )

Since timers are no longer stored and executed in memory for scalability reasons, timers execute universally at exact minutes of the hour.

Fair enough, I’m simply stating my concern. Thank you for the quick responses.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.