Nightbot Blacklist on Youtube Issues

I’ve been using Nightbot for a while now for spam protection in YouTube livestreams but it has been having some issues recently with missing things that it should be catching from the blacklist.

The spam filter in question that has been getting missed is this:

~/(?:В|b)(?:Е|e)(?:Ѕ|Ꚃ|s)(?:Т|t)(?:(?:С|c)(?:А|a)(?:М|m)(?:Ѕ|Ꚃ|s){0,1}|(?:С|c)(?:Н|h)(?:А|a)(?:Т|t)(?:Ѕ|Ꚃ|s){0,1}).{0,2}(?:(?:Ғ|Ӻ|f)U(?:И|n)|(?:Х|x)(?:У|y)z)/gi

A lot of this is cyrillic variants of letters because the particular spam bot we’ve been having issues with has gotten clever and started using cyrillic letters that are identical to latin letters but use different unicode, such as В and B (first is cyrillic, second is latin).

Also should note that these spam bots put the spam link in their name and only send emojis in the chat. So we’re relying on the blacklist checking names as well.

A bot that slipped by today had the following as their name which didn’t even contain any cyrillic letters yet was still missed: “BESTCAMS. FUN” followed by a bunch of other stuff that did contain cyrillic but shouldn’t have mattered since the bestcams part should have been flagged and timed out. I’ve double and triple checked my regex using regex101 and it does correctly flag these bot names.

Am I missing something? Is there an issue with how I formatted the regex for Nightbot? Or is it possible that Nightbot is having issues with its spam filter on YouTube? I’m pretty stumped at this point but this is the best bot I’ve found for YouTube streams so I really really want to figure out what is going on so I can get it fixed up and working again. It worked great for a long time before the current issues so I’m really at a loss as to what is going wrong.

Can you provide us with a Nightbot user id as well as a timestamp of a message in Nightbot’s logs we can take a peek at?

From some testing it seems this wouldn’t catch many variations of that which is most likely what happened though I’m not certain. You should still do what is said above.
However I believe this regex should be more versatile to your needs.

~/(be(Ꚃ|s)t(cam(Ꚃ|s)?)?.{0,2}).*?(Ғ|Ӻ|f)U(И|n)(Х|x)?(У|y)?z?/ig

User ID for the channel the bot is on is 6216ab18108ca2316c3c3f4a

Two timestamps (from the same bot, back to back messages) are as follows:
Apr 8, 2022 3:32:37 PM
Apr 8, 2022 3:32:44 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I appreciate the reply but don’t think that was the issue in this case. I copy pasted the exact username to check against my regex and it does flag it correctly. I’m fairly new to regex though and didn’t know that ? can be used instead of {0,1} so I’ll definitely be using that to streamline things more.

I do not see any logs for this account for that date and time. Are you certain the account is correct?

Apologies, I assumed since I was managing the channel that it would show their ID on that screen instead of my own.

I asked the owner of the channel to get the ID for me and here it is:
622154d6108ca2316cefd03a

I have more timestamps of bots that have slipped through. The correct ID for the channel once again is 622154d6108ca2316cefd03a

Apr 12, 2022 5:40:30 PM
Apr 12, 2022 5:40:43 PM
Apr 12, 2022 5:40:52 PM
Apr 12, 2022 5:41:01 PM
Apr 13, 2022 3:50:38 PM
Apr 13, 2022 3:50:50 PM
Apr 13, 2022 4:59:32 PM
Apr 13, 2022 5:01:38 PM

Bumping this since it’s been a week, do you need any more info from me to help me figure out why the blacklist isn’t working?

Apologies for the delay. I have located the chat lines and believe this should be fixed now. There was an issue specific with custom regexes when filtering on display names.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’ll let you know if there continue to be issues but fingers crossed that it’s all fixed now!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.